Open Secrets is a newly established nonprofit organisation working on issues of economic crime and the link to human rights with a focus on the financial sector in Southern Africa. We use research advocacy and the law to hold people and institution who abuse power to account. In 2017 our work will focus on issues of economic crime during apartheid as well as public meetings on issues of corruption and state capture.
Open Secrets seeks to appoint a Legal Researcher to be based in Cape Town.
The position is available immediately for an initial one-year contract period (with prospects for renewal).
This is envisaged as a full-time position.
- Assist in conceptualising and organising a tribunal on economic crime and corruption in South Africa
- Undertake legal research on historic and contemporary economic crime in South Africa
- Write reports as well as related occasional articles for our website and social media platforms
- Assist with investigations and legal matters, working closely with partners in civil society
- A committed team player with a strong work ethic and a commitment to social justice issues
- A qualified lawyer, with three years’ work experience
- Experience in human rights law and/or international law issues are preferable
- Strong research and writing skills
- Strong organisational skills
- Strong command of basic Microsoft Office programmes (Word, Excel, etc.)
- Historically disadvantaged applicants are encouraged to apply
To apply, submit your CV, copy of relevant qualifications, a copy of an unedited written work and contact details of at least three referees to email@example.com by Monday 31 July 2017.